Although preparing a Will is considered to be a difficult and unnerving task, it’s also a very important one. The more time you spend on making things very clear now, the smoother the process will be when it comes time for your loved ones to carry out your wishes (including who will have control of your estate and how your estate will be distributed). Incidentally, your ‘estate’ includes all of your assets and all of your liabilities (for example: your house, car, credit card bills)
We have compiled a brief list of other factors you should think about in order to focus your thinking:
- Who do you trust to distribute all of your assets and belongings?
- Do you have particular assets that you would like to be distributed to someone in particular? (for example: family heirlooms, jewellery, shares)
- If you have children, who will be their guardian/s in your absence?
- Is there anyone in particular you would like to benefit from your superannuation?
- Do you own any shares in companies and/or own any other investments?
- Do you have a particular charity that you would like to leave a donation to?
- Would you prefer to leave your estate to specific people and allow them to split the estate equally?
If you have any questions about the preparation of your Will, please feel free to contact our office on (08) 8410 9294 or email the writer at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Adelaide Legal, Expect More.
Written by Stefania Scarcella, Law Graduate Paralegal, LLB.